spoon

Chocolate Chili Shortbread

Category: , , ,

I had a meeting last night, and I am the designated snack bringer.  I wanted something simple that wouldn't make a huge batch, and came across this post about Chocolate Sriracha Shortbread.  Chocolate, cinnamon and chili together in a crisp little buttery bite?  Yeah, that got my attention.

Oddly enough, I didn't make the Chocolate Sriracha version.  I don't have any Sriracha sauce right now.  But I do have the chipotle powder called for in the original Epicurious recipe listed on that blog.  The cookies didn't have any of the smokiness of the chipotle, but they did have a nice bite and a good hit of chocolately bitterness.  I may replace the white sugar with dark brown sugar, but I wouldn't cut it back at all.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup superfine granulated sugar


Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, chile powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until well blended. Divide dough in half and pat out into 2 (7-inch) rounds (1/4 inch thick). Arrange rounds 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut each round into 8 wedges (do not separate wedges). Prick all over with a fork.


Bake until dry to the touch, 16 to 18 minutes. Recut shortbread while hot, then cool on sheet (shortbread will crisp as it cools).

Comments (0)

Post a Comment