spoon

The brownies were so-so

Category: , , ,

It's been a bit, but it was my turn to make snack again this past weekend.  The trouble was, it was also January 2nd, and it snuck up on me.  So much so, in fact, that I was left baking during the night of January 1st.  After a big meal, a martini and a glass of wine.  Yeah, inspiration and any get-up-and-go were scarce.  Cookies seemed like too much work.  A loaf was too small, since I need enough for about 3-4 dozen and I only have one good sized loaf pan.

However, I do have 2 glass 9x13 pans.  So I opted for brownies.  Generic brownies.  So generic, that I'm not even giving a recipe.  The ones I found used cocoa rather than chocolate, and melted butter or oil instead of any creaming.  Simple.  They were dry though.  And crumbly.  Which was disappointing.  Once baked, I topped one pan with butterscotch chips, let them melt and frosted the brownies.  The other pan was topped with mini marshmallows, which I popped under the broiler to "toast."  Note to self - check them after a minute, because after 2 minutes they'll be seconds away from ignition!  No harm done, and while the middle part was darker than the edges, some people like their marshmallows well toasted, right?

Another thing learned... even after sitting overnight, marshmallow on top of brownies is nearly impossible to cut through without making a huge mess.  I had to employ a knife heated in hot water, dried AND coated in oil after every single cut just to not totally destroy the bars.

After all of that, they tasted okay.  The butterscotch topped ones seemed more popular, though.

So, where does that leave this entry?  Without a recipe?  Perish the thought!  Instead of the so-so brownies, I'm offering a cookie recipe that I put together today after realizing I forgot to buy eggs.  I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies to have for dessert tonight after our baked potato soup and homemade bread.  A real home cooked meal all around.  But without eggs, my go-to recipe was out.  So I did a little looking online and in other books and put together this recipe.  The smell of the dough with the vanilla and yogurt and chocolate chips was wonderful!

Yogurt Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I used dark brown)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2cup butter
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

   1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

   2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars and butter until light and fluffy. Stir in yogurt, vanilla and corn syrup.  Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until incorporated, then mix in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheets.

   3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Cool for a minute on the cookie sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Comments (2)

Congratulations, you are one of the 3 winners of my Kings of Pastry giveaway! Please send me your address so I can send you the DVD!

Best,
Jennifer
http://www.chocolateshavings.ca

Great, thanks :)

Post a Comment